With over 20 year of exhibitions at its location on Queen Street West, Gallery 1313 has sought to support artists through its membership benefits and by providing an open exhibition space where artistic innovation is key. Located in Parkdale, Gallery 1313 began as the Parkdale Village Arts Collective (PVAC), to support and advocate the work of Parkdale-based artists and initiate positive changes in this Toronto neighbourhood. PVAC was co-founded by current director, Phil Anderson, with the support of the Parkdale Village Business Improvement Association on June 22, 1994. In 1997, PVAC incorporated as a non-profit organization, and has grown over the years to a broad membership with artists from across the Greater Toronto Area, Canada, and further afield.
In 1998, PVAC formally became Gallery 1313 upon finding its current home at 1313 Queen Street West with the support of former metro councillor David Miller. Originally used as a police station, the 1934 Art Deco building that houses Gallery 1313 was developed by Artscape into live/work spaces for artists, offices, community groups and exhibition space. Today, Gallery 1313 continues to be a member-based, artistic hub in Parkdale, receiving more than 10,000 visitors and hosting roughly 76 exhibitions in it’s four spaces, annually.